Blog Archive

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Noggin Nuggets: with extra fiber

Howdy, campers! I took a little mini-break yesterday and didn't do a lick of work, which felt great at the time but left me feeling a bit brain-dead today. I'm still working my way through the fog, so I'm not sure I'll have anything terribly interesting to say, but when has that ever stopped me from blogging? Never, that's when.

Today I'm doling out some Noggin Nuggets. It has been a while since I've done a brain dump; maybe this will cure my mental constipation. Here goes!

I have an enormous pimple on my face. I rarely, if ever, get zits, so this has been extremely annoying for the past few days. It doesn't seem to be getting any smaller and I don't even own pimple cream or whatever the heck you use to rid yourself of Mt. Washington-sized eruptions. I just took this picture but it doesn't do the splotch justice so you'll just have to take my word for it. It's huge.

I read The Hunger Games yesterday. It's a young adult novel so it was a very quick and easy read, and I enjoyed it. I wouldn't say I was totally swept-away by it as so many people were, but I liked it enough that I'll probably seek out the next two installments in the series and read those too.

Why not buy it using these links so that I can buy myself that solid gold toilet I've always dreamed of?*














Reading all of these heavy books has reminded me of how fragile life is, which isn't something that I really needed to be reminded of. I found myself driving to work this morning thinking about how it could all end in a heartbeat. Just - BAM - another car flying out of nowhere that ends me. All that was Bevtastic could go away before my brain even registered what happened. Morbid. Fatalistic. Bogus.




Hence, I really, really, REALLY need a light & fun read! Nothing too silly, but something that doesn't take place in an horrific future setting with flesh-eating mutations and lots of people dying. Something that requires no mental heavy-lifting would be nice.

Suggestions welcome!

Recently the wife of one of my coworkers got a very scary diagnosis and I knew all about the ailment because I watch too much TV. Seriously. As soon as my coworker told me the name I recognized it as being what Nate had on Six Feet Under. I did not tell her about NARM.


That show broke my heart. *a tear*

Maybe this makes me un-American or at the least, un-girly, but I'd rather take a hot poker in the eye than see Eat, Pray, Love. For one thing, I really don't care for Julia Roberts.


I know that goes against some sort of girl-code but honestly, I don't care. I've heard she's a nasty, superior bitch off-camera, and I don't find her acting particularly charming or... what's the word? Oh yeah, GOOD. As Celebitchy so accurately put it:

"The book and the film are the other side of self-absorbed, narcissistic, hyper-consumer-driven, woe-is-the-privileged-white-lady bullsh-t that Sex and City represents. Where SATC’s problems had to do with the search for love when you’re a shopaholic, narcissistic sociopath, Eat, Pray, Love seems to be about the search for oneself, for one’s “soul” when you’re a a shopaholic, narcissistic sociopath. It’s still about consumerism, only the material you’re trying to buy - shoes, love, a soul - changes."

WORD.

There! My noggin feels less cluttered already!
Have a nice Tuesday, my beautiful BOOBHs!

* Yes, I've finally succumbed to the temptation of the Amazon Associates link love. What can I say? I am po' and need to feed my ever-expanding need for new books, music, and movies! Sue me.