Blog Archive

Monday, August 9, 2010

Musical Monday: Music that Moves You

Good morning, my dears. I hope that this Monday morning finds you well. I'm a little groggy today, but hopefully some strong coffee will perk me up... eventually. It's a quiet week at work because my boss is on vacation; of course, quiet is relative since my crazy cat lady coworker never shuts the F up. As I type this she is prattling away about making bran muffins to keep herself from getting constipated, knitting baby socks for the children of a guy in the office who never speaks to her, and the sad state of her husband's prostate. Good times!



The weekend was fine. Today marks week 2 of the in-law invasion and things are going well so far; I've only almost smacked my FIL twice. Okay, maybe three times, but who's counting?

Now, at the risk of outing myself as a sentimental fool, on to the topic of today's post!

This morning on the way into work I was zoning out to the news on NPR when they played just a few moments of God Bless America, and I'll be damned if I didn't tear up a little bit. Sure, I'm tired, but there's something about that song that always gets me right in the throat. I started thinking about other songs that always make me verklempt.


Hurt by Johnny Cash



I loved the original NIN song, but the Man in Black brought something even more melancholy to this tune about addiction and loss. It's a well-known fact that Johnny Cash had his own struggles with drugs and alcohol so I just felt like he really "got" it. He recorded this version not long after his wife had died; he passed away not long after.

Speaking of not being able to live without your love...

I Will Follow You Into The Dark by Death Cab For Cutie.



The video doesn't do the song justice - listen to the words. This song always reminds me of those old couples who live so long together that when one dies, the other goes shortly after. Jim's grandparents were like that.

I Dreamed A Dream from Les Miserables.



*sniff*

What? I've just got something in my eye!

Ave Maria, Amazing Grace, Yesterday... so many sad songs.

Which ones make you misty?