Blog Archive

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Mysterious Ways

Howdy!

First order of business today - I have to send a huge thank you and a "Why the hell didn't I think of that?!" out to Elliott today because he pointed out that all of you really should be buddies instead of friends of OOBH. Why? Because then you'd be my BOOBHs. MY BOOBHs, PEOPLE!!!!



I cannot believe that I never thought of that. *smacking forehead* I can be so dense sometimes.

Okay, can you tell that this revelation made my day? It's really quite easy to do. (Just like... never mind.)

Speaking of making my day, Tuesday was one of those charmed days for me and mine. You know the kind of day when everything just clicks into place? They're so rare that I always notice them. On Tuesday after work I drove up to Concord to get some lobsters for dinner. In the supermarket I noticed that even though it was crowded, everyone was polite and cheerful towards me. Several people struck up random conversations as I shopped, and it seemed like the world around me was just in a happy mood.

On the way home I was clipping along a little too fast, which was easy to do because the traffic was light, the road to my house was smooth and open, and I had nine live lobsters, ice cream, and various mayonnaise-based salads in the car that I was eager to refrigerate. As I approached a 40 mph stretch I was going about 52 when a man in an oncoming car stuck his arm out the window and gestured that I should slow down, which I instantly did. I love it when people warn me by flashing their lights or something if there's a cop ahead - the solidarity is refreshing.

Sure enough, a few miles down the road sat a state trooper with his radar on, but by then I was cheerfully passing him at 39 mph, like the law-abiding citizen that I am. Hurray for random acts of kindness! Zippity doo-dah, my BOOBHs. Later I'd learn that our friend Eric got a ticket on the same road, likely by the same cop that I'd dodged thanks to the kindness of a stranger. I guess it couldn't be Eric's day because it was already mine. ;)

Later that evening my mother called to tell me some much-deserved and exciting news. She has been hoping to retire from her craptastic and stressful office job and had planned to give notice on Tuesday. Suddenly a big-wig from the main office came in and took her into a meeting.



Instead of giving notice and working till the end of the month at a job she detests more each day, she got laid off. With severance. Yes!! How do ya' like them apples?

My mom reminded me that the lord works in mysterious ways, and it's very, very true. Recently I've been thinking more than ever about events or situations in my life that sucked at the time, but which eventually changed my life for the better. How small decisions would have changed where I am now, maybe for the better, but probably for the worse.

Classic example:

Many years ago I was offered two jobs at TV stations here in NH, which is how I came to live here. If I had chosen the one at a large, affluent and well-respected station, I'd probably still work there and would still have a "career." Heck, maybe I'd be running the place by now! But I didn't - I took the job a at a crappy station that turned out to be one of my favorite jobs ever. I've never laughed so hard (and gotten paid for it) since then, and most importantly I met my BFF and soul-sister, Mala. If I had chosen the "better" of the two jobs, I'd never have known the Patsy to my Edina, the Beavis to my Butthead. I wouldn't trade the friend I made for a better career, that much I know for sure!

Now I'd like to turn it over to you, my faithful (and spectacular) BOOBHs, to hear your point of view on fate/karma/what-have-you. What's your favorite example of when choosing the road less-traveled-by has made all the difference?