Monday, May 10, 2010

Musical Monday

Good Monday morning! How's every little thing?

Fine here. Bummed to be back at work, but what are ya gonna do? Nothin', that's what.

The weekend was decent, and Mother's Day was nice enough. My kids were so excited to make me breakfast in bed that they got up at 4 AM on Sunday morning, so Jim got up with them and held them off until 8:30, which was gift enough! They then paraded into my room with a tray of inedible eggs and burned toast and showered me with gifts and crumbs. I got a little cup of dirt from M, along with a promise that some day something will grow out of the dirt - what that is remains to be seen. D gave me a coupon book filled with things he should be doing anyway, like give hugs at bedtime, help with the dishes, and pick up his toys. He was very proud of it, so that was cute. Jim gave me a bouquet of wilted tulips and a new CD, which I love.

Yes, a CD - Jim is still old-skool when it comes to music; this is the guy who still collects records, don't forget. I've gotta say that I do enjoy getting an actual CD sometimes instead of just downloading albums. This particular album has a very cool vibe, artwork, and all of the song lyrics on the jacket, so it's neat. Most importantly, I wanted it and didn't even remember that I wanted it, so that was even cooler!



The band is She & Him, and it is comprised of actress Zooey Deschanel (my girl crush extraordinaire) and producer M. Ward. Zooey writes most of their songs. The songs are very mellow, bluesy, and have a distinctly 50's feel that I like quite a bit. These are two of my favorite songs from the album (She & Him, Volume 2) so far. Have a listen:

"Lingering Still"


"Gonna Get Along Without You Now"


I dig it. Of course, I have had a little thing for Zooey for several years now; I think she's a cool chick who does good work and has a unique look about her. Now, of course, she's married to Death Cab For Cutie's Ben Gibbard, which makes them an indie power couple. They're the hipster Brangelina, if you will. ;)


Anywho, after "breakfast" I had a nice day with my mom, who drove down to spend the day. After she left, I decided to flex my "Mother's Day" muscles and mandate something wild & crazy: ice cream for dinner!

We piled our shoeless kiddos into the car and went to the local farmstand for ice cream, which turned out to be a real mood-booster, and not just because of the sugar high. The farmstand was empty when we arrived. It was chilly last night and I guess other people were home eating nutritious balanced dinners or something lame like that. I don't know. Jim and I went to order the ice cream and were presented with two identical ordering windows. We approached the one on the left and stood there for a few minutes until finally a girl appeared in the window and gestured to her left.

"We can help you at that window," she said.

Jim and I looked at each other, shrugged, then shuffled two feet to the right to stand in front of the other window. Seconds later the same girl popped up behind the window. "Can I help you?" she asked, totally straight-faced.

That was really all it took. We both stifled giggles as Jim placed the order, and the more I tried to hold it in, the funnier I thought it was. Once we got back in the car I re-enacted the scene and we had a good laugh.

It really takes so little to amuse me.

Hope you all had a lovely weekend!
XOXO