Monday, May 24, 2010

May I be Frank?



As predicted, our evening with the illustrious Frank Irwin (of blogging fame) was fabulous, and I think that I speak for Mala when I say that we thoroughly enjoyed his company. IRL Frank is exactly like Online Frank, which is to say that he is witty, polite, and what do you know? He can even get goofy with La Bev and Malomatic!

Frank want BRAINS!



Mala and I arrived in Boston and set ourselves up on a bench outside of Cheers in Faneuil Hall to await our gentleman caller. After a few minutes, we started regretting not making Frank show up in a colorful Hawaiian shirt because we spotted about four dopplegangers before I saw a guy that we were pretty sure was Frank sitting about 100 yards away. We argued for a few minutes over whether it was him or not; I thought it was him, but Mala, who has that odd non-memory when it comes to recognizing faces, did not. Finally we mustered the courage to approach him and he promptly pretended not to know us.


Howdy, lil' ladies.




I fell for it, because I'm terribly gullible like that. *BLUSH* Being the gentleman that he is Frank then produced two wilted dandelion stems from his pocket, and of course, we swooned.

We went to a seafood place and Frank totally copied me and ordered the same thing. Mala and I proceeded to kill a bottle of wine while Frank sipped iced tea, but by the time the check came, he was ready to branch out to more exotic drinks.


Enter the Bleu Cheese and Bacon Martini.



As soon as I took my first sip I remembered that I hate gin, so I only managed to choke down about half of the $14 gag-inducing concoction. Frank was good enough to finish ours for us, though. See? Told ya his manners were impeccable!

We even had time to do a little light shopping.




After dinner we hit the streets in search of a good time, only to be told that the comedy show at Cheers wasn't happening that night. We found a few other ways to entertain ourselves before heading to the North End to an improv club.







Turns out the improv club S-U-C-K-E-D ball sack (we bailed at intermission), but we managed to have a good time anyway.



Can you explain this picture? 'Cuz I sure can't!



We ended our evening with one last late-night nightcap at The Hard Rock Cafe, where the death metal was so loud that what was left of my voice high-tailed it out of there and didn't dare show its face again until around 2 PM the next day. True story.


As you can tell, a good time was had by all! I do hope we can arrange for more bloggy buddy meet & greets. It is so nice to find that the people you talk to every day are just as nice in person as they pretend to be online.

So there 'tis! Mala and Frank will both be posting their version of the night's events today, so be sure to head on over to their blogs for the untold stories and more pics!

Buh-bye now!