Blog Archive

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

From the Vault: Classic Clips

Hey now! Yesterday was shitty and I feel deflated and headache-y today. Boo!

It's cool, though - don't cry for me, Argentina. I will dust off my self-confidence and relocate my happy vibes, I promise!



Until then, I'm slacking off and showing some classic movie clips that I enjoyed during my very happy childhood and adolescence. I'm also throwing in a few old pics because... well, why the fuck not? That's why.

Who wears short-shorts? I did!



My sister and I loved those kittehs! I was probably about 9 in this picture, which means that some of my favorite movies were:

The 1959 comedy classic Some Like It Hot



This clip is kind of long, I know, but you'll have to trust me when I tell you that it's funny and worth watching. The gist of the story is that two struggling big band musicians (Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis) witness a brutal mob crime and decide to disguise themselves as women in a traveling girl-only band.

What I love about this clip is that it's a reminder that though times have certainly changed in the last 51 years, some things never change - men ogle women (and with Marilyn Monroe on board, how could they not?), they party, and they tell bawdy jokes. Plus, men in drag! More proof that classic humor never goes out of style.

Arthur (1981)



Dudley Moore plays a permanently-drunk millionaire who falls in love with a petty thief (Liza Minelli) who somehow still has better values than he does. This movie contains some of the best lines ever written. Truth.


La Bev at 16.



Observant (and long-time) readers of OOBH might recognize that purple tie-dye. I told ya that shirt was old!

Stripes (1981)

"Don't call me Francis."



My man Bill Murray is a down-and-out cab driver who decides to join the army with his friend Russell (Harold Ramis) because they basically have nothing better to do. Hilarity ensues.

Btw, this is why I sometimes say, "You just made the list!" when someone pisses me off. Now ya' know.

I could go on all day, but I'll stop now and save some clips for the next time I'm phoning it in down in the dumps!

I'll leave you with two ID cards I unearthed recently. The first is from high school and I was 14. The second was taken sophomore year of college when I was 20. The only thing that hasn't changed much about me in almost twenty years? My hairstyle. I should get on that.



Nah, I fear change.

Ok, lovelies! I shall check in wit'choo latah. Let's all do our best Scarlett O'Hara impression and say, "After all, tomorrow is another day!"