Blog Archive

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Celebs We Love To Love (and Hate)

When I wrote about Jen Aniston last week it made me realize that everyone has an opinion about her. Some people love her, some hate her, and some find her to be as boring as a boiled egg, but everyone has an idea about what she's like IRL and whether her acting talent and beauty justifies her level of fame.

I got to thinking (always a dangerous proposition) about what celebs we assume are nice people simply because of the characters that they play and how they act in interviews. I know I've got a few favorites who may or may not deserve my adoration.

A few years ago I remember hearing ugly stories about one of my absolute favorite actors, Bill Murray. He was going through a divorce and his wife claimed that he drank a lot, smoked a lot of pot, and cheated on her. Okay, maybe he sounds like a shitty husband, but then again, this was a divorce, so perhaps there were some sour grapes involved.

I still think he'd be fun to party with. Is that bad? Maybe, but I don't care. I still like him. I just do.

According to one reporter, having dinner with Bill is a lively and entertaining experience; he is polite to a fault and extremely personable... but very, very odd and inexplicably moody. According to StainedApron.com, he's also a great tipper, and you can tell a lot about people by how they treat "the help."

Here are some other celebs that I like simply because of their characters in movies and because I haven't heard anything bad about them to knock them off my mental pedestal.

Goldie Hawn

She's starred in some of my favorite childhood movies:
Overboard
Protocol
Same Time Next Year
Death Becomes Her


Even though I can't stand her daughter (again, for no good reason), I think Goldie seems nice. I think she likes to party and knows how to crack a joke, so she makes the cut for me. *shrug*


Colin Farrell

I know he was kind of a hard-drinking cad for a while, but I have a soft spot for this Irish bad boy and I have no idea why. Maybe because he seems genuine in interviews; what you see is what you get. Maybe it's the twinkle in his eyes that suggests a certain sense of Tom Foolery that appeals to me. Maybe it's because I liked his sex tape. I don't know.



Hugh Jackman



I've never heard a bad word reported about him, ever. Have you?

Johnny Depp



Handsome, nice to everyone, generous, and slightly odd. What's not to like?


Tom Hanks



He could be a dick, but I doubt it.
Drew Barrymore


Who doesn't like Drew?


Susan Sarandon

Everyone talks about how down-to-earth she is, and I believe it. I think she's awesome.

Exhibit A, her magnificent 64-year-old rack:



Exhibit B, her (NSFW) sense of humor:



Celebs I'm on the fence about:

Betty White - She's sharp as a tack, but something tells me that she might be kind of mean when the cameras aren't rolling. Purely a gut feeling, and I hope I'm wrong.



Zooey Deschanel - you know I have a massive girl crush on her and I love her acting and singing, but she seems kind of aloof. I prefer people who smile a lot, and she always has a look on her face like she's secretly thinking that everyone around her is an idiot.



The jury is in: celebs who are definitely jerks:

Christian Bale
Who could forget this?


Naomi Campbell

Never met an assistant she didn't abuse or a cell phone she didn't want to hurl at someone.




Richard Dreyfuss


Great actor, but an irrefutable prick by all accounts. He even sued his own elderly father over money.








Charlie Sheen


Maybe he's a method actor, but the fact that he only portrays arrogant playboys is telling. Then consider all the details about his life - his fondness for hookahs, his drug and alcohol abuse, his alleged violent temper, his various marriages to dimwit gold-diggers and ensuing messy divorces... not to mention that awful toupee... and it seems like this is not my kinda guy.





That's my list, now it's your turn! Who do you love for no good reason? Who do you hate? Have you met any celebs that changed your mind about them, for better or for worse? Spill.