Monday, July 6, 2009

Day late, dollar short

Better late than never, I'm back on the blogging horse after getting kicked around a bit last weekend. Of course, I didn't break any more teeth this weekend, so I'm gonna go ahead and call it a success, mmkay?

First things first. Summer has finally reached New Hampshire. YEEEESSSSSSSSS! I know it's July, but beggars can't be choosers and I'm just so glad to be getting some vitamin D that I will forgive Mother Nature for enveloping us in rain and cold for the past 6 weeks. It's all good, Mama, just keep bringing us more of that good stuff!

Does this picture scream "summer" at you or what?



Okay, so this 4th of July weekend may very well go down in "Bevstory" as one of my least favorite, despite spending it with some of my favorite people. We did our best to be chipper and enjoy ourselves, but I'm afraid I felt a little Eeyore-ish nevertheless. I had a migraine, but we still managed to rock it out on Saturday night and play a little Rock Band 2. I had forgotten that my sister can actually carry a tune, which makes me jealous and proud all at the same time! She agreed that I get points for enthusiasm, however, so it's all good.

Before that, we went to a little 4th celebration in the town next to ours, where we saw some fun critters like this big-ass tortoise:



and this even bigger-ass snake:



and I almost got pooped on by this big-ass bird:



But, the kids enjoyed themselves:



On Sunday we all got up early and drove up to Vermont to attend our dad's memorial service and burial. It was a huge bummer, but a beautiful day and the service was lovely. I have been blessed with some truly wonderful friends and family. I was so grateful to have some of them come to the service to sit with me and help me get through the last farewell. Knowing that they'd give up a beautiful Sunday on a holiday weekend & drive 2+ hours north just to spend a tough hour with me filled me with enormous comfort and gratitude. I was also so touched by personal notes and messages from others.


After the service we went to the grave site for the burial, and it was as comical as ever. Things run differently up in the north country, as we learned two years ago when we buried grandma there. Basically, nobody showed up to dig the damn hole, so for grandma's service it was just us standing around scratching our heads until somebody produced a shovel and dug a hole big enough for the cremation box. CLASSY. This time, my mother had had the foresight to send my cousin up there the day before, so he went up and dug the hole. Fuckin A, dude. For real??

So, we got there, the minister said some lovely words, and we did the deed and covered it up ourselves. We bury our own up nawth, whether we want to or not. After, we all stood around and admired the amazing day and gorgeous views. It is truly a lovely final resting spot, and Dad would have loved watching his grandchildren run around. In fact, I think he probably did enjoy watching it on Sunday.








Dad would have loved the weather: blue sky, sunshine, not too hot, with a nice cool breeze. It made me think of a poem, which has always been one of my favorites:

i thank you God for most this amazing by E. E. Cummings

i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky;and for everything
wich is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday;this is the birth
day of life and love and wings:and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any-lifted from the no
of all nothing-human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)


So, that is that. I started today with a serious case of the Mondays, but I'm back on track now and promise to post something funnier tomorrow. :)

Sayonara, sweethearts.