Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I surrender!


Mother Nature, you cruel beyotch, I cry "UNCLE!" You win! I lose. I get it. I am waving the white flag of surrender! I kneel before you, a pathetic human who needs creature comforts far more than I could have imagined!

Last week's ice storm left us without electricity for an unprecidented FOUR full days, almost five. We finally got it restored last night. During our little power hiatus, the baby got sick and started throwing up, all of my Christmas shopping went undone, and the earth basically felt like it had stopped rotating around the sun for some odd reason. I missed two days of work ("well, I wouldn't say I've been missing it, Bob"), and am just now starting to feel a little bit of normalcy. Of course, I want to work now less than EVER before, which I didn't even think was possible because I pretty much never want to come here... but that's neither here nor there.

The good news is that our woodstove saved the day yet again! It kept us warm, kept the pipes in the house from freezing, and allowed us to stay in the house instead of seeking shelter elsewhere. The roads were cleared up by Friday afternoon, so after Jim unearthed our driveway from all the broken, frozen trees, we were able to get out and able in the "real" world. It was like a war zone - people wandered like zombies through the raided grocery stores, a lot of businesses were running without electricity, banks were closed, no police in sight anywhere, the world was dark and cold.... Bizarre!

But don't take my word for it, here's the photo evidence:





That which does not kill us, makes us stronger. We're uber buff. ;)