Blog Archive

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Yeah, I rode the disco stick.



Did you have any doubt?

The Gaga show was outstanding! Honestly, it was one of the best shows I've ever seen, and I've seen A LOT of concerts. I can't say it was the best I've seen in years because last summer's Paul McCartney show was also spectacular, but Gaga ranked right up there. The Wang (heh heh) Theater is freaking amazing, first of all. I hadn't been there in several years and I think I'd forgotten how breathtaking the very building is, how wonderful the accoustics are (hello, "Opera house!"), and how great the view is from just about every seat. From the moment you walk in it's just stunning - gilded and grand. I felt so appreciative of the whole experience; it was almost overwhelming.



Check out this ceiling:

Boobies:


Ok, so back to the beginning. Reeeeewind. Laurie dressed me. She bought me an outfit that consisted of a very tight, very low-cut tank top and a bright blue pleather 80's style jacket. When I got there she already had jewelry all set out for me, too. She knows that my idea of crazy club wear tends towards the conservative; in fact, I brought one of my wildest tops in case I didn't like her outfit choice and we laughed over the fact that it is a beaded brown silk DKNY tank. Me so crazy! Woo! Give it up for the wild child!

By the time she was done with me we looked like superheroes.



We drove down to the city and parked in a garage that turned out to be kind of far from the theater. OOPS. The minute we stepped out into the lobby of the business I felt like an idiot. Any of you who have visited Boston know that the people of Beantown are not flashy, bright color kinds of folks. In fact, I've never seen so many black wool coats and sleek brunette pony tails in my life. We were in the business district and everyone was coming out of work. They looked like this:

And we looked like this:


Awesome. Finally we made it over to the theater district and felt a lot more comfortable there, among our people. We ate a light dinner at an Indian restaurant and had a little wine, but didn't go crazy with the booze. We partied responsibly because I knew I'd be driving over an hour to get home later that night, plus I really wanted to be present and, ya know, remember the concert. Dinner was perfect; we had the perfect little buzz and when we walked over to the venue I couldn't stop admiring the full moon, which was bright and beautiful.

Once inside, we had a celebratory glass of champagne and watched the freak show for a while. LOVED it!






Then the concert began and we got our disco moves on! Gaga was perfection - she sang, she danced, she talked to us. She must've said "I love you, Boston!" about twenty times at least. She really interacted with the crowd a great deal and encouraged us to dance and sing and be "monsters." Great fun, really! The backdrops and dancers were wonderful, and whomever did the stage direction really grasped the concept of a stage picture like nobody's business. It was beautiful and grotesque and fucking brilliant. This theater nerd DUG it.





See? Definitely no penis here. Gaga is all woman (and a teeny tiny one at that!)

The crowd went wild!


We had a blast! I got home around 1 AM and immediately got in the shower to wash off the glitter and pleather sweat. Sexay! I went to bed with wet hair and woke up looking like Garth from Wayne's World, only brunette. Suh-weeeeet!

What a great night! I feel so lucky to live close enough to Boston to do stuff like this, and so lucky to have good friends who also like to put our domestic mom-wife lives aside from time to time to cut loose, old-skool. Complete with plastic clothes & push-up bras. Wooot.