Blog Archive

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Music That Moves You

Maybe it's the gray weather that continues to hover over my little part of the world, or the fact that I'm working my brain harder these days than I have in a long while, but I've been more introspective than usual lately. That's not a bad thing. As always, when I find myself in a pensive mood I find that a trip to the book store is in order; I love to read when I'm in this place. I do some of my best thinking when I'm here - neither happy nor sad - just thoughtful.

Kind of like the crapper.

I always listen to a lot of music too. Today Cary's QOTD post at LOTD about songs that we associate with certain time periods of our lives has got me thinking. I won't bore you by repeating what I said in my (multiple) comments over there, but it did make me think of this one particular scene in one of my favorite movies, Garden State.

I love the song that plays in the background (Paul Simon is one of my favorite singer/songwriters of all time), I love the screaming into the abyss, I love the kiss. I love it all, and I love how it makes me feel.



Last week I had a bad day and just felt inexplicably sad. I happened to hear this song by The Pixies on the radio at lunch time and it's amazing how much it cheered me up! Just a quick little hit of good music that invoked some powerful, happy memories....



Thinking about the Pixies got me thinking about band member Kim Deal, who started her group The Breeders right before I went to college. I can't tell you how often I listened to their music, and I'll bet that we all remember where we were when this song was popular:



Where were you?

That night I decided to see if the newly-reunited Pixies were touring. I can't find anything for the rest of this year yet, but since they hit up the Paradise in Boston last year, I'm optimistic that they'll swing back through. I will be there.