Thursday, August 14, 2008

Is it really possible to know thyself?

And no, I don't mean in the Biblical sense, so get your mind out of the gutter.

I am just sitting here, thinking about Jessica Simpson and another woman I know in real life who are, let's just say, a few sandwiches short of a picnic basket. No, it's not typical for me to sit and ponder Jessica Simpson, so I thought this might be blog-worthy.

It's a well-known (and documented!) fact that Jessica is not exactly the brightest star in the galaxy. She has said and done some wildly stupid things, and those are just the ones we hear about out here in nobody-land. Yet, she seems to think that she's actually smart, but just playing dumb. This is a head-scratcher for me. Is it possible that she's right, and we're all being duped into believing she's dense when in fact she's quite bright?

In the case of the woman I know, it is not possible that she is secretly smart at all. I've met her, I've gazed into those vacant and far-away eyes, and I know that she is definitely not smart. Nice, sure. Smart? No way, no how. However, she, too, thinks she is at least of average intelligence. She thinks she's on the ball, in fact.

So, this leads me to wonder, what if we're all dumber than we think we are? What if we all fancy ourselves to be of average or above average intelligence, when those around us think we're dumber than posts?

Scary, huh?