Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Gotta love those state workers



So, I was poking around the NH Department of Education website last week, looking at certification options just in case I decide to go through with this idea of mine to get certified to teach, and I found an email address of a lady who works in the Department of Credentialing. It said, "Email with your questions about NH certification using Alternative 5." Great! So, I sent her a (I thought) very nice email, asking how I should get started. Should I take the PRAXIS exam first, should I submit my application to the state first, should I take any Masters-level courses...? I'm new at this, and the website was unclear about exactly in what order one should take each step towards certification.

After waiting nearly 3 days for a reply, this is what I just got:

Review Dept. Education website, www.ed.state.nh.us becoming a nh educator, Alt. 5.

Real friggin' helpful, lady! Thanks a million. It's not like I got your freaking EMAIL ADDRESS from that website or anything! Thanks for neglecting to take 2 seconds out of your busy day to actually do your job.

Ugghggh.

On second thought, if that is any indication of the level of professionalism and, heck, human kindness, that I'd need to display if I worked for the Dept. of Ed, maybe I ought to apply there instead of becoming a teacher! I can be a grumpy old shrew all the livelong day!

Naaah. I can actually do that right here at my current job. :)

*sigh*

Change is hard.