Monday, January 17, 2011

Those are some Golden Globes!

After being stuck indoors watching Nickelodeon for two straight days I was ready for some adult-ish entertainment last night, but I'm still amazed that I made it through the entire Golden Globes broadcast without switching the channel.  That's definitely a first for me, although you all know I'm a big ol' entertainment junky.  I've gotta say, I enjoyed the show!  I think part of me was just getting primed up for stalking celebrities in their natural habitat next month when I'll be in L.A. at the same time that the Academy Awards are being held.*

Last year's best Golden Globes
I'll offer up my thoughts on the show.  I know the web will be innundated with other people's thoughts on the shows/fashions, but who gives a flying fig?  They're not La Bev, now are they?

Out of Bev's Head: come for the boobs, stay for the irreverent commentary and Asian spammers!

Ricky Gervais as the host.

I was/am a huge fan of his original British Office, but frankly Ricky can be rather hard to take sometimes.  I absolutely hated The Invention of Lying, and I find his in-your-face atheism annoying.  Know this: I don't care what anyone's religious (or non-religious) views are -- I simply don't care.  The way he is always telling the world that they're dumb for believing in God makes him just as bad as the people who tell us we're going to hell if we don't believe.  Get over it, dude. 

That being said, I did recently watch his HBO stand-up special and it was pretty funny, so I was looking forward to seeing him host the Globes.  At the very least, I love it when celebs insult other celebs!  Ricky didn't disappoint.  Five minutes into his opening monologue he had already picked on Charlie Sheen and his high-priced hooker/binge weekends, lambasted Angelina Jolie's stinker of a movie, The Tourist, and called Hugh Hefner a "member of the walking dead" and advised his 20-something bride-to-be not to "look at it when you touch it."

ZING!

Career Suicide?
After the way he insulted people it will be interesting to see how his career pans out.  Hollywood isn't known for being particularly self-deprecating.


Anyway, on to my favorite part of any awards show -- critiquing the pretty people in their expensive clothes!  So what if I'm wearing a shirt with a stain on it and will have to unbutton my pants after lunch?  I'm perfectly qualified to judge the stars.  ;)

Pics courtesy of Getty Images.
Angelina Jolie
I hate to admit that she looks good. The dress style is a little matronly for my tastes, but I love that color.

 Anne Hathaway
"That Hansel is so hot right now.  Hansel."

 Halle Berry
This just looks like a foundation garment (AKA: a corset) to me.  Yes, Halle, we get it -- you're still hot.  Settle down.

James Franco
Love the suit, love the smirk, love him.

January Jones
Tits McGee.  Also, boobs.

 Jenny from the Blech
On the red carpet this looked great, but when she presented an award was way too sparkly and wedding dress-y under the lights.  Since I am not a big La-Lopez fan, I have to say that from the neck down, it's gorgeous.

 Jeremy Renner
I hate his shiny, dainty shoes!

 ???
I don't know this guy's name, nor do I feel like looking it up.  He will always be "Landing Strip Head" to me.

 Leighton Meester
From the Little House on the Prairie collection.

 Megan Fox
I'm going to go ahead and add her to the, "Not Aging Well" category, mainly because she is skeletal.  Megan, it's called a cheeseburger -- look into it.

 Michelle Williams
Boring babe in boring beige. The color of this dress reminds me of support hose.

 Rupert Murdoch and his wife
I'm sure they have a lot in common.  (I ain't sayin' she a gold-digger)

 Sandra Bullock
Welcome to Frumpville, population YOU.  The slouchy dress/pose and the bangs? No.


Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta Jones
Yay for a recovered Jack T. Colton!  CZJ looks amazing in that color, too.

Natalie Portman
Everyone is picking on Natalie's dress.  I don't love pink & red together or the big glittery rose, but I still think she looks lovely.

Seal and Heidi Klum
She looks like she should be meeting Dorothy, Rose, Sophia and Blanche on the lenai.  Seal's shoes remind me of those yucky, furry little black & tan beetles you see around garbage cans in the summer.


Julie Bowen
This dress is the color of dishwater.  It looks like a dog chewed it up and dragged it through a mud puddle.

Helena Bonham Carter

THIS bish.  I love that she just doesn't give a fuck.  Seriously -- the mismatched shoes might as well be a raised middle finger.


So there are my thoughts.  Got any of your own you'd like to share with the group?

*No, I won't be attending the show... but I'll be there gettin' my stalker paparazzi on. ;)