Blog Archive

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Pants Thing

People whom I've just met online & who are new to me and to the OOBH often ask me, "Hey Bev, what's the deal with you hating pants?" It's a valid question, and there's a valid explanation.

It's not that I hate all pants, I just hate the ones I have to wear in public.

Wait, that sounds wrong. See, I find work pants (and even jeans) to be very restrictive garments. In the Summer I wear skirts and dresses almost exclusively, preferring them even over shorts. Pants and shorts are just not that comfortable!

If I could get away with it, I'd be like Hugh Hefner and wear pajamas all day, every day. Ya' gotta hand it to ol' Hef-- if he has company over to the Playboy Mansion, he doesn't do anything more than put on an even spiffier pair of satin PJs under that suave smoking jacket of his. Why bother getting dressed up in regular, binding street clothes while in the comfort of your own home? It's ludicrous, really.

Which is why, as soon as I get home from work, I put on my version of satin pajamas and a smoking jacket: pajama bottoms, yoga pants, flannel loungers... I've got drawers full of these elastic-waistbanded comfy pants.

So, you see... it's not that I hate all pants... just most of them. ;)

I'm not alone, of course. I recently bought this t-shirt made by like-minded pants-haters just like me! Plus, there's a website "dedicated to fighting the staggeringly tragic fight against pants," and there are these famous folks, courtesy of Style Bistro:

Rihanna


Katy Perry


Fergie Ferg


Lady Gaga


Miley Tire-Us



Janice Dickinson


Lily Allen


And of course, Mr. "Don't you hate pants?" himself, Homer Simpson:


See? Looks like I'm in good company! Though, I'm not really at the "walking around in public in my underwear" phase just yet. Gotta save something for my golden years, right?

What about you? Pants: love 'em or hate 'em?